Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The next adventure

It’s blowing a hooley tonight: the palm trees swishing in the wind and window frames rattling, and I’m hoping it calms down before Saturday’s race.



Sue, Judy Rae and I were down at the boat this afternoon, doing final prep for the 90-mile race ‘round the Coronado Islands to San Diego. YIPPEE KAI YAY was tugging at her lines, her rig shuddering in the wind. She bucked like a bronca against the dock; eager to get out on the race course, and I thought ‘Even without sails she’s a fast mother** …



We have an interesting sisterhood, based on our shared near-tragedy; and often reflect (sometimes silently, but knowingly) of the miracle of survival. Last weekend Judy Rae asked if Sue and I wanted to get matching tattoos – appropriately of the Maori symbol that was on the spinnaker we cut away. The prospect of having needles repeatedly pricked into my skin is disagreeable (to say the least) but I’m thinking Yes, I want to make obvious this bond we have: of love and strength and perseverance. It’s something to be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment