Friday, February 3, 2012

Variety = Spice / and Spice = Variety

Day Seven and I have finally seen Grenada from both sides now, as yesterday we circumnavigated the island in a spectacularly scenic loop that included waterfalls, fishing villages, rainforest, nutmeg plantation, cocoa factory, rum distillery ... and so on. We are cramming into a few days what you'd want to spend a week (or two) enjoying -- including food. Last night at Patrick's Home Style Cooking (across from the Port Louis Marina) we had no less than 18 (yes! 18!) dishes served to us. At a chic bistro in Santa Barbara you might call these servings tapas, but here - in a pale green concrete roadside eatery decorated with Christmas lights - we sat at a rickety table on the porch, with a fluttering shower curtain blocking our view (I presume) from the residence next door, and Sandra brought us dish after dish of delectable island specialties. Green banana salad, coo coo, lambi calypso, pumpkin, ginger pork ... the local cuisine has been consistently over the top, whether a haughty resort or a palapa at the beach. The use of spices is amazing and I am scouring every stop for a suitable cookbook. (Although that could be dangerous!)

This morning we opted out of the two-hour hike to get some work done 'at the office' - however there is still another trek to the Grand Etang, a picnic, and river tubing this afternoon. I'm absolutely floored by Grenada ~ the diversity of sights and activities, the pride and courtesy of the people ... it is definitely a total sensory experience. I love it here.

Aside from never enough sleep (despite a huge comfy bed in a fabulous two-story flat overlooking True Blue Bay) I'm doing great: the perfect breeze cools the tropical sun, but my hair is marching to the beat of its own steel drummer! The French doors are open and ceiling fan on (no a/c required) and I'm working barefoot in a pareo at my desk. 'Getting into island girl mode - as I will be moving to Bequia soon, lol: Capt. Dexter is building me a house (2BR, 2bath, with a pool) overlooking the harbor where I will stay when I'm not at sea, working as his first mate. Uh-huh: to sail with me is to love me.

Signing off so I can hopefully load a few pix to FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment