Saturday, March 17, 2012

Joys of travel


16 March 2012.
It always startles me when I enter a Ladies Room stall and the toilet seat is up.

?

AIr travel is full of surprises these days. On the heels of news that a Flight Attendant went 'postal' recently (wow. there are two high stress jobs: stewardess and mailman. woo-ee. ) it's a bit unnerving to hear the gate agent Adolfa Hitleress barking over the P.A. She's got that Jane Velez-Mitchell screech: as if she lives with someone hard of hearing. And stupid. Each time she explodes a name, a passenger RUNS to the gate. Scared.

I settle into my seat. It was unduly difficult to get this changed to a window (I know: so many keys to press! Such effort! Such stress!) so when my seatmate appears with a scrawny little boy, asking if he can have the window seat (it will be dark in an hour!) I decline. I have my own urban sprawl happening: my little laptop "Turq"; a folder of notes representing my juggling act of jobs; two cameras and related cards, batteries and chargers; a digital recorder; snacks; water; toiletries, meds and swimsuit (in the event my luggage goes missing); a small pillow; and a blanket I borrowed from my earlier LA to JFK flight, which I promise (pinky swear!) to return on my way home ~ because I learned the hard way on one frigid flight where I was advised they don't carry blankets on flights to the tropics (even though it's about 40 degrees onboard) that you are screwed if you don't bring your own!

How anyone so small can take up so much space amazes me. His skinny arms poke out like chicken wings. But he is cute and quiet: raptly watching CARS on his portable dvd player and not at all missing the window view, and I am amused by the warmth (even if it is spindly) of a child inconspicous of the space he occupies. And somehow, in keeping with my charmed life, i have just been served a bottle petite of wine, on the house. On the first flight I was given a free bloody mary and not one but TWO bottles of vodka. I am on the verge of suspicion.

So where am I off to? First stop San Juan for a day and a half, then Fajardo ~ where I'll board a brand new Lagoon 450 (I have been eager to try out this cat wth a forward cockpit, among other things) for almost a week of cruising Culebra, Vieques, and the snippets of islands nearby. Then USVI for the weekend (Rolex Regatta) and BVI (Sailing Festival/Spring Regatta). a week after that. Oh yes I am thrilled and thankful: a bit on edge from being on the move so much; living out of a suitcase; having no regularity or sense of control in my existence. However as always, i realize it's at times like this, when life takes over, that amazing unpredicatable things can happen. So I try to keep my mind open and mouth shut.

I gaze out the window, thinking too hard. Veins of lightning streak and brighten the sky beneath us, and the plane chortles in reply. It might be nap time, on this long dark leg over the Atlantic.

ADDENDUM 17-March 2012
Oh those gorillas had a fine time with my luggage it seems ... ! Unpacking I discover a container of mango powdered drink got crushed in flight - sprinkling easy-to-dissolve hence ultra-fine seep-into-everything tutti-fruity sugary dust all throughout my luggage. It takes til about 1AM to clean the mess; completely dissasembling my suitcase; shaking out and ultimately laundering all of my clothes early this morning ..... By the time Vicki arrives Saturday our room looks like a Chinese laundry: clothes draped everywhere. But it smells deliciously of mango ...

After a quick run to the liquor store  (there is a horrific rumor we can't buy booze Sunday or Monday due to blue laws and /or the elections) we head to Old San Juan ~ practicing our Spanish as we stroll the shops and sights. We pick a boisterous tapas bar (Toro Salao) with live jazz and a chic crowd for dinner. The food and sangria are great and we're thankful that even though it's St Patrick's Day there is none of the drunken foolishness you find at home. We're eager to get to Fajardo tomorrow, and begin our sailing adventure! Til then ... ciao!

Photos HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment