Tuesday, May 4, 2010

On the eve of departure

Of all the crazy, exotic places I have been, Thailand has never been on my radar screen. Perhaps it’s too remote, too … surreal. Other-worldy; other-timely. And now – it’s the eve of departure. I leave in 25 hours: for Phuket.

Unique about this trip (as if the destination isn’t unusual enough) is that I’m neither guest nor grunt, but part of the organization, running the show. This is a major step up for me which I’m liking: although right about now it’s getting frantic, with the women (we have eight paying guests) wound up about flights, seats, activities, currency, oh and the potential revolution. The questions mount: What DO we do if there’s a tsunami? How will it impact us if the government is overthrown? Will I really look like Goliath next to so many petite and lovely Thai women? Do jellyfish sting?

For now, it’s all guesses and expectations from my little room in Seal Beach. Surrounded by my ‘things’ – trophies from previous travels, the knick-knacky-equivalent to ‘comfort food’ (like my colorful fishy mobile from a beach in Cabo; tin gecko wall hanging from Costa Rica; mola from San Blas; and art from Hawaii, Australia and Buenos Aires) I try to conjure up a visual of Thailand: flowing silk, turquoise seas, dancing, bizarre music, spicy foods. But it’s all flat: all one-dimensional, as it’s tired, I’m late. Let’s try that again: I’M TIRED, it’s late. Bedtime is nigh.

Tomorrow at this time … enroute to Thailand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment