Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hump day


Being the middle of the week, Wednesdays are traditionally known as ‘hump day’ – but even moreso today, as I feel I’ve scaled a mountain and am standing on the peak, pounding my chest like Tarzan. It has been a great day!

Early this morning, before the cool of the night wore off, I was reading in my little screened porch when a handsome young buck (the real kind: a deer LOL) sauntered by. I paused to watch his grace as he cruised the yard, then effortlessly leaped over the barricade. (What a gift that must be!) I realize how fortunate I am to simply have the opportunity to retreat to a place like this: large in space and solitude; peaceful and bucolic. Blessings!

Rewarding myself with having written day and night since I arrived, I went to Sunstone winery to visit where I worked part time for five years – pouring in the tasting room, and writing the newsletter. What a stunning setting, fabulous wines, and delightful people (both co-workers and guests). The welcome was warm (as was the weather) and I was delighted to be back. Then I went to Sort This Out Cellars where my old colleague Michael is now making wines: a different venue with great blends and sassy labels; I enjoyed catching up – and seeing his daughters, who are now 11 and 13!! Time does change things, oft for the better ;-) Today I am feeling my strength, feeling confident and joyful; and understanding that every step I have taken in the past is one step closer to being the best ‘me’ I can in the future. I am feeling blessed ...

To top that off, as I left everyone in Solvang was eating ice cream in the heat of the day. Finally a lovely British couple pointed me in the direction of the ice cream shop, where I ordered a scoop of peanut butter ice cream. The clerk gave me a MOUNTAINOUS cone laden with ribbons of peanut butter and chunks of dark chocolate: out of this world! Now back at the ranch, where the heat has abated somewhat (mid-to-high 90s) I will admit: it’s finally siesta time ... signing off ...

No comments:

Post a Comment