Tuesday, September 21, 2010

sanctuary

It was at the very bottom of a long, long list and my perfunctory search for a Bible study group was whittling down. ‘Well, I made the effort’ I was sighing, when the last entry in the roster popped up. Convenient day, perfect time, pertinent subject ... no excuses. I signed up.


In a world of so much clutter and cacophony, we might think that God does not speak to us, but truly, he does all the time: with one hand on our elbow to guide us; clearing the path; straightening our gaze. Yeah and sometimes drop kicking us in the right direction ...


I cannot express how much this group spoke to me today: a smiling and eager group of women, a soft welcoming, a powerful message about breaking free.


I am still reeling from the mess I made but this I know: to break free, I need to let it go – just put it on the altar and leave it to God.


Next week I’m going away (‘Running away from home again? You’re good at that,’ Connie describes). I’m crashing at a research station, looking for some sanctuary – in the truest sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment