Saturday, June 9, 2012

Coffee Karma



Georgia and Bob have a neat little coffee gadget on the counter, and although Georgia walked me through the step-by-steps, this morning’s coffee creation was problematic … 

I thought I was making one thing, but I put in another. An ounce of water shot out and it halted: so I pushed it again (universal solution to all things electronic: push the button again) but eventually realized I’d put an espresso thingee in, so I replaced it with a coffee pod, pushed again … suddenly I had too much water, dribbling on the counter … (all this for a cup of coffee!) and my unintentional blend tasted a bit yuck … So I added some half-and-half, ambled up the stairs (dodging my new BDF – BestDogForever –Buster, who likes to stop right in front of you to make sure you’re still there) and finally, finally sat down for a cup of coffee.

Ewwwww! 

Was the half-and-half bad? I tried again. BLEAH. Sour. As if I didn’t believe (praying for some water-into-wine type miracle?) I took another tiny sip. Gag!

Nope. After all the efforts to make the coffee, and then try, try, TRY to make it palatable, I finally grasped: I had to throw it out and start over again. I headed back down the stairs.

And then, halfway down (as I paused for Buster, who had halted one step ahead of me) I decided I didn’t want a coffee anymore. I wanted something different. I wanted something better

DING! After wasting w-a-y too much time on all sorts of mental mastication and machination and self-flagellation I figured it out. Stop wanting that. Yes I had longed for it, put effort into it; it looked good, smelled good, and I was so eager to drink it down. But in the end: it was sour. ‘Time to pour it down the drain.

And instead of trying to recapture or recreate it I am striving for something different, more, better. Much better. 

I made a cappuccino. Strong. Intensely present. Creamy and sweet and delicious. Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment