Tuesday, August 21, 2012

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Marina Green was amok with the noises and commotion of set-up. Fork lifts unloading (and sometimes dropping) crates from trucks, quads of burly men (one trailing a dog on a leash, which worries me he’ll trip) carting and positioning panels and displays; cables being laid; tents set up; banners unfurled … for someone (me) who has termed the America’s Cup “over-privileged adults enjoying a costly recess…I defer to the building excitement. 

Several boats slide by the waterfront park, their mainsails towering visibly over the detritus. Fast. “Did you see that?!” Sharon asked as one zipped closely by. But I had turned my head for just a second, and missed it completely: they were that fast. And they weren’t even trying … yet.

Today is the official practice race. We leave the hotel in an hour to walk to the green for the official media meet-and-greet-the-skippers. Later Sharon will head out on a photo boat, where she’ll be positioned to shoot the AC45s as they approach the windward mark; while I head back to the hotel -- to finish up some work so I’m freed up to watch the races the rest of the week (and potentially shoot: both Sharon and Leslie want crowd & color scenes; our M.O. being that they pre-set the buttons on the cameras, tape them over, then I can just snap – LOL).

The fog horns have been bellowing all night – a promise of wind on the race course. Getting a bit excited … 

San Francisco, CA 21 Aug 2012

PHOTO: Sharon & AC book cohorts (L-R) John Owen, co-publisher; Bob Fisher, co-author; Insight Editions Director Michael Madden

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Sounda grrrrreeat!! Wish I was there ;-) x

Post a Comment