Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Clouds

Clouds.

A lot of clouds.

As we cut through the batting on our descent to Huatulco, I realize this doesn’t bode too well ... not for The Plan to deliver Pamela & Paul’s boat around the Gulf of Tehuantepec, nor for Plan B – to swing at anchor in one of the nearby sunny bays, while we await Plan A. We are looking for insipid, calm, high pressure, low stress, la-di-da weather, and it ain’t happening. But it is what it is.

We glide like angels through the heavenly fluff. Through the gauze I see the green-brown carpet of jungle. The muddy snaking rivers. The scalloped coastline. The mountains rising next to us. My little (20 mos.) row mate is crawling all over me, to watch the ground draw near; and bursts with giggles as we joltingly land. I help her Mom into the terminal with her monstrous amount of bags, the stroller, strewn bits of clothes and more bags; retrieve my luggage, and wait for the cheap shared taxi to fill up. It’s all very matter of fact, and although I am in a part of Mexico they call ‘The end of the world’ it doesn’t feel foreign at all.

It’s my third time in Huatulco, and Marina Chahué (Cha-WHEY); familiar turf. Like much of Mexico, there’s the constant drone and detritus of construction, but the newness is impressive. I point the taxi to the marina (‘Marina Chahué?’ ‘Si.’ He sizes me up. ‘Marina Chahué??’ ‘Si!’)  and we drive across the rutted dirt lot to the guard palapa. The boat is right where I saw it last, and as I stroll down the dock Paul is walking to greet me. I am truly blessed with so many friends who welcome me, and make me FEEL welcomed. P&P & I chat a while in the cockpit, enjoying a breeze of utter perfection; I unload my bounty from a treasure hunt of gluten free foods, Pamela’s mail orders, some vitamins and supplements, and my gift of a lemon/orange juicer (the kind you do by hand); then we walk to a restaurant, enjoy a simple meal, and make our way back to the boat – catching up with these two wonderful and luminous people.

And now, right now, I am in my happy place. I’ve unpacked my scant supplies and ‘moved in’ to The Woman Cave ( the forepeak) Tapping away on my laptop, with the hatch open; the temp is delightful and the sounds of the marina calming, as the boat tugs gently on her lines – like a horse champing to go.

Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment