Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Hola España!

Oct 14 2:21AM

 

I want to burn my clothes – the clothes I have been wearing nonstop the last 34 hours as we traveled from San Diego to JFK to Barcelona to Cartagena by plane, subway, train, and finally taxi –  requiring two taxis, as we were schlepping our weight in luggage, and transferred it so many times, I felt like Sisyphus: in and out of terminals, up and down elevators, and the lofty steps of trains (gladly off the Barcelona Sants platform which was scurrying with what must be GMO cockroaches – they were so huge and peppy); eight massive, stuffed bags plus heavy backpacks each. Finally we are on El Gato tucked in the yacht marina in Cartagena, the boat looking fantastic but all else swallowed up in the black night. Cartagena is supposed to be a beautiful city and I expect we'll see a bit of it provisioning and prepping for our departure Thurs.

 

My mood's a little more sober than my journal entry Oct 12 when we began our trip: "Approx. 9pm somewhere over the mid-Atlantic enroute to Barcelona I can hardly contain myself in seat 20C; finally on my way to Spain!" But still, yes: excited, a bit anxious, eager to see my surroundings when the sun rises in a few short hours.

 

WED MORNING UPDATE

Cool drizzly night, we all slept in til 9+ (9 is all I'll admit to) getting a first glimpse of Cartagena.

My cabin is AWESOME- big V-berth, windows on both sides of the ama so great ventilation, plenty of stowage, and (drum roll please) my own desk and chair!!! My home for the next month is awesome.

Busy day of provisioning and stowing for the weeks ahead; leaving for Gibraltar (1 ½ days) tomorrow (Thursday. I am 9 hrs ahead of PST) we think – if all chores are done and weather window stays open.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment