Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It's only hair ... !

Verging on insanity ... I decided to get my hair cut here in Buenos Aires, where I have absolutely no command of the native tongue (other than to order wine and ask for the bathroom).

Actually many fellow gringos/gringas had planted the seed, taunting me that I was going to get kidnapped by some sweaty gaucho because of my blonde hair and blue eyes ( ... and won't they be disappointed when they realize they got an old broad with no $$$!!). Dying my locks brown seemed an option - if not for the poor Espanol and towering height I could masquerade for a local; but as it was, I truly just needed a haircut.

Aurora (Viviana's mom) marched me to a salon around the corner where an impressive, sturdy woman (she looked like one of those Easter island Tikis) with straw-like ochre hair looked me up and down and up and down. 'Why did you bring her here?' she spat in Spanish. I felt like she was sizing me up to feed to her dogs. So Aurora and I left ... We went to another nearby salon where they offered to cut my hair right then and there ... but I stalled. They were all on the verge of antiquity (Shhh, Mora! Don't tell your Grandmother I said this!!!) and I just couldn't do the blue-hair-bob. I said I'd be back in the morning.

When I ventured out later (for a bottle of wine, and some awesome seafood empenadas for my trip to Paraguay) I came across a modern-looking salon with a chic young gal behind the counter. She buzzed me in and quickly we ascertained that neither she nor the proprietor Tony Ruiz spoke English, but they were game if I was.

Mariana washed my hair while I flipped through a dog-eared magazine with a mix of bizarre hairdos. 'No .... no ... no ... 'I said, pointing at styles that looked something like 'My Little Pony' meets 'Wizard of Oz' ... and then I pointed out a few I liked. Then Tony took over, and worked his magic.

The first few snips in the back were dramatic. My heart raced as I felt the hair coming off in huge clumps as he snip-snip-snipped feverishly, and I intoned my mantra: "It's only hair ... it's only hair ... " It was one of the quickest, and least expensive ($15US) cut & dries I'd had in a long time and I love it!! Okay so, I still look like the Queen of the Gringas but ... it looks good ;-) (No comments about the nose please!)

So tonight I'm in Buenos Aires, sitting on the patio of the penthouse condo in Belgrano, a nice neighborhood downtown. I have been absolutely saturated with love and attention since arriving in BA and having wonderful digs to relax in and enjoy is just part of it. Viviana's family is AWESOME and I have sworn if any of them ever need anything: money, a place to stay, a kidney - I am IN!

The world is a wonderful place: if you just let it ... XXOO Betsy

before & after


@ Betsy Crowfoot

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hit that one out of the park..........love the hair!!
Kathy

Christian Kallen said...

Getting your hair cut seems to have improved your mood!

sandiiiiiii said...

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!! BEFORE .... AND ... AFTER!!!!! :))))))))

Post a Comment