Monday, January 11, 2010

The wind in my hair …

What a delicious feeling, standing on the bow of the boat: the wind in my hair, shifting from foot to foot on the already scorching deck, furling lines, underway!

We had loosed DOMINO’s surplus docklines first thing this morning (Jan.4) – two lengthy bowlines tied to the jetty, the forward spring line, the aft spring line, the stern line tied to the floating dock, an extra line securing the floating dock to the jetty – and left only the bow and stern lines of our side tie to the massive steel DON ALBINO. Marilu had come for an early visit (I’d say ‘for coffee’ but we’ve run out!) and to cast us off; then DOMINO was on her way … our fifth voyage thus far, and one step closer to D-Day -- final departure from Paraguay (Friday Jan 15?)!

And even though this is a muddy river, and even though she is a motor cat, it was such a wonderfully familiar comfortable feeling to be on a boat, in the warmth of the sun, doing what I do.

So of course, the minute all the fenders were stowed and lines coiled and put away, I went into the galley to chop.

Chopping, anyone who has ever sailed with me will tell you, is one of my favorite pastimes on a boat – once the sails are trimmed, my watch is over, and everything else is ship-shape. Today’s victims were a few random carrots left in the nearly-empty icebox … but my gazpacho is infamous, as well as my (Mom’s) carrot soup, and tortilla soup; and there is always a need to chop veggies for stir-fry, fajitas, or ratatouille (and in the absence of veggies: fruit salad).

I love to ‘be’ on a boat – racing, sailing, cruising, delivering … and in 2009 was fortunate enough to enjoy several offshore excursions (both work and play): Los Angeles, USA to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; Cabo to LA (via Turtle Bay & San Diego); Honolulu to Hanalei to Catalina to Long Beach; Piriapolis, Uruguay to Buenos Aires, Argentina to Punta Arenas, Chile; and now Asuncion, Paraguay to Punta del Este, Uruguay (via a slice of Argentina). In 2010 the journey continues ...( I just hope to make more money doing this, this year! )


No comments:

Post a Comment