Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hellos & Goodbyes

Jan 31

My last glimpse of DOMINO was from the big blue bus as it climbed the mountainous road overlooking the Bay of Dolphins. She had swung in the breeze, I think to see me off … yet I was a distant memory no doubt as Marie and JP have many miles ahead to ponder, and I am now just a part of her happy history.



Fabi brought me to the bus stop and awaited its tardy arrival, then suddenly the bus was here; I stuffed my bags (a bit less heavy from my most recent purge) up the steps and in a flurry of kisses and goodbyes (“big kisss... gros bisous... grande bejos” Fabi says) I was gone: on a very bumpy bus ride weaving up and down mountains and through the verdant vegetation and farmlands of southeastern Brazil, alone with my memories and thoughts.



Once again my travels have been blessed with the presence and generosity of friends and strangers-who-have-become-new-friends. I have always tried to maintain an ‘open door’ policy at my home (no matter how modest) especially for young people, strangers, and friends of friends of friends; and I feel God has rewarded me one-hundred-fold – as if any reward was ever needed. The gift in being a safe harbor is indeed a blessing in itself and proof of the abundance you may not otherwise recognize. Alain noted that I may not have beaucoup d’argent but I seemed very rich in friends, and indeed I feel like a very wealthy woman!



Last night after JP helped me haul my stuff to Fabi and Alain’s, and we had socialized with some new cruisers who’d arrived in the anchorage and a neighbor from Vermont, we admired the blue moon from the balcony: then decided to celebrate my last night with a swim. Fabi and I (discreetly – because of the multitude of Saturday night blue moon admirers) skinny dipped in the moon river. The ocean was fresh but delightful, and I slept soundly – for the first time in ages on solid ground – beneath a soft mosquito net, listening to the music of the waves.



Again this morning, after a tranquil breakfast of coffee, toast and jam behind the gauzy curtains that blocked the strong early sun; we went for a final swim – this time the ocean foamy and agitated. Then I repacked (and repurged) my bags a final time (more on the constant getting-rid-of-stuff at another time) and was off.



Right now I am in Campeche on Santa Catarina Island with Abi, Andrew and their extended family – at cousin Alistair’s house, with Grandma Jo, enjoying some family time and relaxation before the voyage south to Pirapolis.



More later, love to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And also I said: Good luck, Querida !
Fabi and Cake:-)

Post a Comment