Saturday, February 20, 2010

Thunderheads and coral heads

Feb 18

My mind spins to recall the myriad of experiences of the last five months: thunderheads to coral heads; penguins to toucans; glacial cold to tropical heat; calms to tormentas … I think I have seen it all!

Today though -- something different! We took the dinghy to the mouth of the River Sidra to meet up with Lisa: a local Kuna, to take us into the rainforest on a hike to the waterfalls. We went up and down muddy trails, forged streams, hiked through jungles and graveyards, to the waterfall, where we swam in the cool fresh water, with little fish nibbling at our legs. Then, we decided to hike back via the river bed, wading on slippery rocks, over more waterfalls, and even plunging off rocks into the river at heights that made my heart beat at the speed of sound; then traipsed back to the bay where we’d left the dink; zipping back to our one-horse-anchorage amidst waves and laughter.

No-one had claimed George’s favorite shallow anchorage at Salardup (despite the hour) so we snuck close to the picture-perfect island into the turquoise water: then jumped in to snorkel the cool shallows of this tiny isle. We flipped over sea stars and had conch races and poked sea cucumbers and chased fish until the sun was low, then climbed back aboard to BBQ some chicken and pinapple kabobs. It’s hardly 9:30 pm but we’re exhausted from our six-hour hike and two hour swim (and maybe the rum & Coca light has something to do with that) … yet blissfully happy at yet ANOTHER fantastic day in Kuna Yala.

It has been non-stop fun since I arrived last week! What an amazing time I’ve been having with Melinda, George and Josh; swimming and snorkeling every day; bbqs, happy hours, fishing, fun J  Once again I have fallen into the loving hands of dear and wonderful friends and I feel so BLESSED!! (And tan and happy too :-D )

Saturday I return to the mainland … Sunday I fly to Mexico … I am ‘working my way ‘home’ and expect to be in So Cal by mid- to late- March.

Sending you all love and warmest wishes ‘til I return and can hand them over in person!  XO Betsy-Mom

PHOTOS: Melinda, Reylyn and me at Happy Hour at BBQ Island; selecting molas from a local Kuna family; Melinda, George and Josh; SOUTHERN BELLE at anchor; a typical anchorage in the San Blas Islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment