Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tomorrows

Feb 20

Tomorrow, Sunday Feb 21, having re-entered ‘my’ hemisphere and ‘my’ (Pacific) ocean, I return to ‘my’ continent when I land in the lovely city of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. This has been the most extraordinary time of adventure and experience, and I have absorbed so much scenery and wonder that my mind can’t quite process the people/places/things I’ve encountered since I left home five and a half months ago. But I can say that I am wildly happy with my travels, blessed with good health and good fortune, thankful for the warmth and hospitality of friends and strangers alike, and in complete awe of the majesty of this universe. It puzzles me so when people tell me they ‘don’t believe in God’ -- as if this all is some big mutant accident – when I so keenly see the works of his hand with every breath I take.

Last night  -- after a lazy day anchored at Salardup -- where we swam, snorkeled, and played bocci ball with a few other cruisers – we put down just off Carti; dangerously close to the no-see-um infested mangroves, if not for the 25-35k winds gusting through. As is customary, it rained in the middle of the night and we jumped up to slam the hatches shut, but thankfully the wind didn’t crap out entirely and leave us victim to the ravenous insects. I slept fitfully. George was up early making coffee like the god-like creature he is (and Melinda got up to join us for a final cup) before dinking me over to the dock to catch a 6:30AM truck to the city. I scored and got a shotgun seat in a pickup truck driven by a gal named Marie who is a mother of three, which probably explains why she drove the three-hour journey to Panama City like a somewhat sensible homo sapien, up and down and over and around the perilous mountain pass, through the river, skirting slides and crumbling patches of road, dogs and horses, into the grimy city. As if to prove a point: Marie had a carton of eggs (breakfast for her children) perched on the seat in between us (three guys sat in the back and another two in the bed of the pickup, with our luggage) –– which remained completely intact for the entire ride. It was fun and entertaining, especially as Marie and I got non-stop whistles and catcalls from the many many workers endeavoring to put the road back together after the recent rains and slides (Humpty Dumpty comes to mind). I guess they don’t get many gringas around here, as I surely was not 1) dolled up, 2) scantily clad (I was lucky to b e wearing semi-clean clothes!), nor 3) young and adorable – but we apparently got the boys’ testosterone boiling early this morning.

This leg of my trip was pure unadulterated vacation. Photos will follow, but in summary: we swam and snorkeled every day: several times. We hiked. Played bocci ball and monkey golf on tiny tropical islands with a beer in one hand and a ball in the other. Laid in the fine white sand. Played water tag. Fished. BBQd. Had frou-frou drinks at multiple Happy Hours ... and pancakes for breakfast … and DESSERT. Shopped (well … Kuna-style shopping for molas ). Met new friends.  Sang … LOUDLY. Danced. Jumped off high things (rocks, the boat) in to cool clean water. Slept in late. Watched Gilligans Island on dvd. Laughed. Talked about old times … and made plans for the future. It was an awesome magic amazing time in a gorgeous setting with idyllic weather on a fantastically comfortable boat with wonderful friends. In case you are not getting the message: I had a great time!!

And now, I’m on the homestretch; to meet up with friends in Puerto Vallarta for some fun and some work; and -- fantastic news -- Coco will join me in a week and do the cushy/warm part of the delivery home (PV to Cabo San Lucas, while I continue on the boat up to Los Angeles).

I wish I could say I was closer to knowing what ‘tomorrow’ will bring … WHERE I’m going to live and WHAT I’m going to do in the long run. But I’m not. However I still have about 1,000 miles at sea ahead of me and plenty of time to ponder that next step...

More from PV in a few days: but first – the eco lodge north of the city (and probably 9-million mosquitoes) beckon ….

XO

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In resurrection, there is confusion
if we start to argue; if we stand and stare,

we do not know where to go;
in resurrection, there is simple affirmation,

but do not delay to round up the others,
up and down the street; your going

in a moment like this, is the best proof
that you know the way;

does the first wild-goose stop to explain
to the others? no-he is off;

they follow or not
that is their affair;

does the first wild-goose care
wether the others follow or not?

I don't think so-he is so happy to be off-
he knows where he is going;

so we must be drawn or we must fly,
like the snow-geese of the Artic circle,

to the Carolinas or to Florida,
or like those migratory flocks

who still [ they say ] hover
over the lost island, Atlantis;

seeking what we once knew,
we know ultimately we will find

happiness; to-day shalt thou be
with me in Paradise.


H.D.

FROM Trilogy 1944-1946
The Flowering of the Rod [3]

Post a Comment