Monday, August 23, 2010

Galvanized


-->
Yesterday Holly gave a talk on anchoring at a Lats & Atts boating seminar. I certainly lend a hand when we’re on the water anchoring, but found it intriguing to finally comprehend what actually happens underwater, and how the anchor sets and holds fast.

Then she talked about chain and fittings, and how the anchor is only as strong as the stuff that attaches it to the boat; and to skip buying the bright shiny stainless steel and go right for the galvanized stuff.

Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon … add chromium and you get glittery glitzy stainless. Eye-catching. However stainless can be brittle and weak – and break without warning.

Galvanized steel, on the other hand, is created by etching the steel in chemicals, then dipping it in a pit of molten zinc. (Ouch!) As a result, it’s kind of funky looking and not very pretty, but it’s resistant to corrosion and rust, and long-lasting, even in difficult environments. It’s strong, it’s reliable – and doesn’t go off without notice.

I realize I’ve been spending too much time TRYING to be stainless (vanity!) searching the wrong kind of steel: the superficial shiny variety, when in fact I should be seeking to be fortified by the Lord. ‘Power walking the dog in the morning, heading to the gym at lunchtime, outrigger canoeing or sailing in the evenings and weekend … and just when I’m all wrapped up in my reps and BMI, I get the two-by-four to the temple and a little swishing around in a pit of molten zinc. God has his own plans for my strength training and is galvanizing me by my experiences (… and not so ironically, decorating me with scars and issues that aren’t all that attractive either. What-ever.).

This is one of my favorite FAVORITE Bible passages ever (below). I need to remember that the God who formed the mountains, and placed the stars in the sky, is truly the best ‘personal trainer’ around.

“The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives strength to the weary and power to the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; Yet those who trust in the LORD will find new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.” - ISAIAH 40:28-31

No comments:

Post a Comment