Monday, August 2, 2010

PIROUETTE!

There are pivotal moments in life and this, I gather is one.

A jarring halt to the track I’ve been on – and wow, what an about-face from my grand adventure traipsing, sailing, zipping and leaping off rocks throughout South America last year. But I’m not fearful, just trying to get my head around the fact that God has pulled the rug out from beneath my feet (again) … and from my perspective I see only blue skies, as I am keenly sitting on my ass looking upwards.

Headaches … really explosive, uncharacteristic ones, onset by stress or exertion, had me concerned. I went to the doc. After a lot of dribble like “women your age (hmph!) get headaches from changing hormones blah blah blah …” I convinced him that this recurring sensation, like a scene from KILL BILL: where my head splits open like an exploding coconut, and fire hoses of blood gush out my ears, was not normal. ‘Got the referral to the neurologist. ‘Got the referral for the CT scan. ‘Got the call from the neurologist saying ‘Don’t get on that boat …” followed by the call from the surgeon saying “Maybe you should have someone drive you to ER …” Okay so, I got roto-rootered up my femoral artery, there’s an aneurysm, and we’re making plans for further diagnostics and tweaking my lifestyle a titch, moving forward.

My first point (since I’m still alive and kicking) is that you should listen to your body and trust your instincts, and avail yourself to all the miracles of modern medicine and science your insurance company will tolerate (and then some).

But after that though, my real point is: there is a plan. And perchance we don’t really know what it is, or need help getting on the right path, or maybe it just switches tracks – like a locomotive – when it gets to a certain juncture; and it might feel like you’re veering off path, but in fact, this is the plan all along.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

As for me, I’m faced with a turn of events which is in utter contrast to my aggressive campaign to get stronger faster more competitive and leap tall buildings with a single bound. But I’m getting with the program, and embracing it. Maybe it’s a big whopping change, or maybe just some chill out time to work on my book(s) and other things. Like relationships, and being grounded, and growing. My friend Bronny points out ‘This is to slow you down a little.” A little, I grasp onto. And not necessarily forever. So I will make the most of these gentle days: take some time to smell the roses, and explore, and see what sweet things are in store for me in the future.

“For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” – Ephesians 2:10.

No comments:

Post a Comment