Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A different Florida

Today I saw a side of Florida I hadn't experienced before, when Oma, Opa and I went for a little trek through the cypress forests at Hammock State Park.

Trails and boardwalks snake through this quiet, unspoiled nature reserve; winding over still swamps and waterways, past palms - with festive fan leaves; beneath ancient oaks hung with moss like old men sporting wisps of beard. It was cool, and the vegetation smelled like Christmas. Squirrels scrambled around fat trees, dislodging nuts that tumbled noisily to the ground. We heard woodpeckers drumming and owls hooting; saw bear scat and armadillo dens - but no gators. Not a bad thing: had I actually spied a hideous five-foot reptile waddling beneath my feet in this peaceful environment, I probably would have leapt out of my skin. Still we looked, rambling along paths in the hushed green forest until the sun shot horizontal through the leggy trees and we figured we'd better hurry out before it got dark.

The weather was brisk all day - earlier Opa and I went for a bike ride, and I think it is the first time we have ever gone bike riding together. We've had a fun easy-going visit, which is coming too quickly to an end: tomorrow I fly out of Orlando, for home - and I will see you soon!

XOXO Mom / Betsy

** AUNT DORIS CALLS THIS PHOTO MY 'UPSIDE DOWN JUNGLE'. LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment