Saturday, September 19, 2009

GOOD THINGS ABOUT LIFE IN PIRIAPOLIS

1.

2.

3.

4.

To be continued …

(Just kidding)

I think if you’re going to ‘hit the reset button*’ in life, then the best way to do it is to really go for it. Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Erase the parameters: the culture, the comforts, status, familiarity … and just get on with it. So Piriapolis has been a good starting (over) point, for many aforementioned reasons. But (having been chided for whining too much) I decided today to list the many Good Things about Life in Piriapolis:

I’m with two wonderful companions, Stephen and Audrey, who are hard-working, excellent cooks and have good sense of humor!

And the wine is cheap.

I have a place to live and don’t have to pay rent.

Ample hot water.

Two duvets.

Another good thing about the Casa: there are no large insects, lizards or geckos, frogs splashing in the toilet, mice, or marauding monkeys -- as in some places I’ve been known to go.

I don’t have a car so I don’t have to worry about the price of gas. Or DUI.

And I never need to fuss about what to wear. Fleece, fleece, more fleece … and I’m ready to go!

The internet is free and I continue to lap up warm messages from friends and family all around the world.

Lots of exercise and no monthly fees!

The opportunity to try strange new vegetables and menu items … and play games like ‘guess the meat’ …

Beautiful scenery, with the greens of springtime and the Atlantic Ocean in the distance.

Really good books.

Awesome laptop and gadgets.

Exciting future plans.

The gorgeous yacht XPLORE:

[For the past two days we’ve had a fantastic storm: the wind howling through the tree tops; shrieking through the rigging. Rain blowing sideways. The muddy waters of the Rio de la Plata splashing up over the stone wall of the embarcadero. By law we cannot sleep on the boat on the hard, so we trek to La Casa Muy Frio for the night; but have been holed up on XPLORE during the days. The boat shudders with the gusts but is incredibly comfortable, warm and dry. We have a fully stocked galley (and library), snuggly bunks, heaps of duvets; electricity to power the stereo, lights and computers; water, wine, real coffee … she’s cozy and solid and even in her ‘undressed’ state (not yet repainted) she’s by far the most beautiful and powerful yacht in Puerto Piriapolis … and I take more than a small amount of pride in being onboard as part of her crew. ]

I have a LOT (alot alot) more to be thankful for on the whole, but this today is what’s good about life in Piriapolis, Uruguay. ~ Betsy

Sept. 19, 2009

(*I do need to point out that I’m not, like, on-the-lam or anything, I’ve embarked on this journey not because I have to, but because I can. But more on that later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment