Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Upside Down Summer (or Winter - depending how you look at it)

Sept 10 2009

I arrived safe and sound in Montevideo, after an uneventful flight (*with the exception of sitting on the on the tarmac at Panama’s international airport, watching my bags lay out in the rain -- hence arriving drenched). Customs/immigration was a breeze even though my bags were stuffed with parts and gear; and after taking the scenic route home (thanks to some road construction and questionable navigation on the part of my welcoming committee) we got to the cottage and I settled into my loft. The Casa is pretty rustic, by familiar standards, but has about everything you might need … a kitchenette, nice bathroom and hot water … but no heat! Even though Piriapolis is nearly the same latitude as Carpinteria, it is MAS FRIO (more cold!) being that Carpinteria is in the Northern Hemisphere and enjoying the waning days of summer; and Piriapolis is in the Southern Hemisphere, clinging to winter.

Subsequently I have decided to call my blog The Upside Down Summer because ‘upside down’ is how I feel. It was still summer when I left (replete with sunny days on the beach, barbecues, swimming) and here it is barely hinting of spring. It was hot, here it’s frigid. I was doing ‘intellectual’ work as a writer; and now physical, even menial, labor fills my day (and a long one, at that). There, I was connected -- online and on the phone all the time; but now my phone doesn’t work, and I have little time or internet access. Truly I feel disconnected: from friends and loved ones and all things familiar and desirable. My whole life feels like I’ve taken a big 180-degree flip-flop, and my head spins with the thoughts of everything I have left behind and everything (mostly unknown) that lies ahead. So that’s it (for now): the Upside Down Summer.

One last point: I admit it is also a nod to Eduardo Galeano, the famous South American political/historical writer who wrote many years ago The Upside Down Book, in his inimitably quirky prose. A native of Montevideo (where I landed) I acquiesce to his talents and seek him for inspiration. If I can provide such a window on life as Galeano does; then I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment