Saturday, March 20, 2010

addendum

March 20

We left San Diego this morning at 7AM (or so they say – I slept in until 8:30 …) The sun rose slowly too on this misty morning, but the seas were calm and welcoming. It’s nice to be back on my little slice of the Pacific!

Chewey has been following my adventures (since even before I left: when we had lunch and he promised “the ability to flee” – in the form of $$$ support - would always be available through him and other friends, in the event of a real screw-up). We talked about the potential dangers I faced and how you can’t always control your own destiny: you just have to pick a path and go with it.

The fog that rolled in and out, as we chatted our way north, was symbolic, I pointed out. “You can’t always see where you’re going: sometimes you just have to keep moving in what you think is the right direction, and have faith you get somewhere good ...”

“Unless you crash into something and die,” he countered. Always the optimist, that Chewey.

But the truth is, you can’t sit around worrying about ‘what ifs.’ I feel so fortunate to have had the chance to embark on this trip: for the adventures I’ve had, the opportunity to fortify my faith in people (and God) by the experiences, hospitality, and generosity I’ve enjoyed, and to have hung on and continued on my journeys and returned feeling on top of the world, instead of at a low. I'm thankful for so many ‘soft landings’ along the way, the magnificent places, the wonderful experiences.

In LA Harbor now, feeling so blessed, and so happy to be continuing on . Love, love, LOVE to all … Betsy


No comments:

Post a Comment